Additions to Sierra Trek
This year marks the 44th running of the California Association of 4WD Clubs’ Sierra Trek. The event, held August 11-14 near Truckee, California, will include some new activities, including a night run on the Fordyce Creek Trail, a two-day SUV tour near Lake Tahoe, and an ATV run. All trips include country-style meals, live entertainment, games for kids and adults, vendor displays, and the famous Summit City Saloon. For more Info on how to join the Trek, visit www.cal4wheel.com.
Lexus Renews Racing Program
Lexus will be the primary sponsor of Joe Bacal’s JTGrey Racing Team, which will compete for the SCORE Stock Full championship in 2011 using a race-prepped Lexus LX 570. In only his second season of racing, Bacal won the class championship last year and placed first in the Laughlin Desert Challenge, Las Vegas Primm 300, San Felipe 250, and Baja 1000.
• The Western Slope No-Fee Coalition, which is working to eliminate the fees we have to pay to recreate on public lands, asked the U.S. Forest Service for a way to communicate with the agency about these fees. The USFS set up an email account for those comments: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please send the government your thoughts, but remember to keep the messages short and, above all, polite. “The use of abusive or profane language does not help our cause and can do great harm!” says the Coalition.
• The No-Fee folks also sent us an alarming article titled “Our Forests for Sale” that documents the growing number of private companies—not the Forest Service or other government agency—managing campsites and other public lands. Currently more than half the campgrounds and 80 percent of all campsites in our national forests are managed by private companies. The government sees these relationships as “partnerships” and a way of managing facilities despite cutbacks in funding and personnel. Recreationists, however, worry that the private companies’ bottom-line management philosophy may not be in the best interests of those who use these areas.
• Yamaha’s national OHV access initia- tive GRANT (Guaranteeing Responsible Access to our Nation’s Trails) contributed more than $265,000 in 2010 to trail construction and maintenance, mapping, education programs promoting awareness of safe and responsible off-roading, and other programs. Yamaha has kept trails open, improved staging areas, built bridges over fish-baring streams, and partnered with local off-roading communities across the country to improve the OHV experience. Yamaha is now seeking qualified projects from nonprofit or tax-exempt organizations at local, state, and federal levels for its 2011 GRANT program. An application form and guidelines are available at www.yamaha-motor.com/ohvaccess.
New Ram Accessories from Mopar
The relatively low prices of the upcoming Tradesman and Adventurer Ram pickups mean that buyers should have a few dollars available to accessorize. At least that’s what Mopar, Chrysler’s parts division, is hoping, as it offers some 300 products for Ram trucks. Parts run the gamut from a $11.50 receiver hitch plug to a $1,335 one-piece fiberglass tonneau cover and include diamond-plate toolboxes, tubular aluminum bed extenders, bed steps, spray-in bed liners, exhaust tips, rearview cameras, portable navigation systems, and remote starters. Visit www.mopar.com for the complete line of Ram accessories.
Polaris special editions
Each year Polaris offers limited editions of its ATVs and side-by-sides. Among the highlights this year are a Sportsman XP 850 EPS (or 550 EPS) finished in Midnight Black Metallic automotive paint and sporting a 2,500-pound winch, a front storage box, and 14-inch cast aluminum wheels. Among the new side-by-sides is a RZR 800 Walker Evans edition with Indy Red paint and custom graphics, a premium Walker Evans shock absorber package, and Maxxis tires on Black Crusher wheels. Visit www.polarisindustries.com for info on these and the rest of the special models for 2011.
This isn’t about booze. The folks at Aeroquip have adopted the phrase in a campaign to educate auto and truck enthusiasts about the importance of using quality hoses and fittings in performance applications. A ruptured line underhood causes problems, from overheating to catastrophic engine fires. Aeroquip says its products are designed to withstand four times a hose’s working pressure before failure occurs, and the company pressure-tests the hoses at two times the rated working pressure to ensure there are no defects. The Aeroquip hoses and fittings for performance engine applications are designed to function as a system, not just a bunch of parts that might (or might not) work together. You can learn more about the 100 Proof campaign and Aeroquip’s product offerings at www.eaton.com/aeroquipperformance.
• June 2-4: Canyon de Chelly Jeep Jamboree, Chinle, AZ. Info: www.jeepjamboreeusa.com
• June 2-4: Badlands Jeep Jamboree, Attica, IN. Info: www.jeepjamboreeusa.com
• June 2-5: Tecate-SCORE Baja 500, Ensenada, Baja California, Mexico. Info: 818.225.8402, www.score-international.com
• June 2-5: TLCA Razorback Ramble, Superlift ORV Park, Hot Springs, AR. Info: 501.625.3600, www.orvpark.com
• June 3-4: Muddy Buddys Spring Jeep Jam, Harveysburg, OH. Info: http://jeepjam.muddybuddys.net
• June 4: Great Lakes Jeep Thing Show-n-Shine, Tilted Kilt, Chicago Ridge, IL. Info: www.gljt.org
• June 4: Trailmaster Challenge, Twisted Trails Off-Road Park, Copemish, MI. Info: www.twistedtrailsoffroadpark.com
• June 4-5: JeepSkool, NE Ohio. Info: www.jeepskool.com
•June 10-11: United Four Wheel Drive Association Annual General Meeting, Superlift ORV Park, Hot Springs, AR. Info: 501.625.3600, www.orvpark.com
• June 11: Getting Started Off-Road 4x4 Skills Clinic, Hungry Valley SVRA, Gorman, CA, by Badlands Off-Road Adventures. Info: 310.374.8047, www.4x4training.com
• June 11: 2011 Lucas Oil Regional Off Road Series, Glen Helen Regional Park, San Bernardino, CA. Info: www.lucasoilregional.com
• June 11-12: Tread Lightly! Tread Trainer and Master Tread Trainer courses, Carlsbad, CA. Info: www.treadlightly.org
• June 12: Advanced Beginner Off-Road Driving Clinic, El Paso Mountains, Mojave, CA, by Badlands Off-Road Adventures. Info: 310.374.8047, www.4x4training.com
• June 11-12: Iron Range Offroad Driving School, Iron Range OHV Park north of Minneapolis and St. Paul, MN. Info: www.ironrangeoffroad.com
• June 16-18: Drummond Island Jeep Jamboree, Drummond Island, MI. Info: www.jeepjamboreeusa.com
• June 18: Customer Appreciation Run, Hungry Valley SVRA, Gorman, CA, by Badlands Off-Road Adventures. Info: 310.374.8047, www.4x4training.com
• June 18-19: Trail rides at Apple Valley Farms Off-Road Park, Chetek, WI. Info: www.offroadexperience.com
•June 25: Rocks Clinic, Johnson Valley (near Lucerne Valley, CA) by Badlands Off-Road Adventures. Info: 310.374.8047, www.4x4training.com