Mahindra Troubles Mount
We hope you’re not in any hurry to buy one of the diesel-powered Mahindra compact pickups, as things are getting even uglier between the Indian factory, the U.S. distributor, and the dealers who signed up to sell the truck. According to Automotive News, dealer Jerry Ackerman, who paid to set up three Mahindra franchises, filed a breach-of-contract suit in St. Louis against Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd. and its U.S. distributor, Global Vehicles USA. Ackerman hopes to take his suit to class-action status to represent all of the approximately 350 dealers who signed up for U.S. franchises. So far 45 dealers have shown interest in participating in the suit.
Dealers—and Global Vehicles—have been waiting three years for the pickups. Mahindra delayed the launch, stating that the vehicles weren’t ready for U.S. sale, and then last year severed ties with Global Vehicles, which has its own suit pending against Mahindra.
Ram Runner Details
Now you can build your Ram pickup into a lookalike of the Ram Runner concept truck that debuted last year in Moab. The Ram Runner Kit, developed with Baja racer Kent Kroeker, includes a Pre-Runner Stage II lift kit, a front bumper, fiberglass front and rear fenders, a rear-tire carrier, stamped-aluminum sport performance hood, and a cat-back exhaust system. Each of the kit’s components may also be purchased separately.
The lift kit, which increases travel to 14 inches front and rear, consists of 4130 chromoly lower control arms, upper control arms (both sets of arms are about 3 inches longer than stock), rebuildable high-angle ball joints, beefier tie rods, a five-link coil-sprung rear suspension, and Fox 3-inch internal bypass shocks. Ground clearance is approximately 13 inches at the center of the front crossmember.
Purchase price for all of the kit’s components is more than $20,000; the lift kit alone represents $13,270 of that amount. Stickers not included. For more details visit www.mopar.com.
• Sept. 1-5: Superlift 4xAdventure Series, Superlift ORV Park, Hot Springs, AR. Info: 501.625.3600, www.orvpark.com
• Sept. 3-4: JeepSkool, NE Ohio. Info: www.jeepskool.com
• Sept. 3-4: Club Challenge, Rocks and Valleys Off-Road Park, Harrison, MI. Info: www.rocksandvalleys.com
• Sept. 3-5: High Sierra Poker Run, Prather (near Fresno), CA, by the California Association of 4WD Clubs. Info: www.cal4wheel.com
• Sept. 8-10: Ultra4 Stampede, Exit 28 Motorsports Park, Reno, NV. Info: www.kingofthe hammers.com
• Sept. 8-11: Rubicon Scramble, open to all Scramblers and LWB Jeeps, Wentworth Springs to Tahoe, Northern California. Info: email email@example.com
• Sept. 10: Getting Started Off-Road 4x4 Skills Clinic, Hungry Valley SVRA, Gorman, CA, by Badlands Off-Road Adventures. Info: 310.374.8047, www.4x4training.com
• Sept. 11: Advanced Beginner Off-Road Driving Clinic, El Paso Mountains, Mojave, CA, by Badlands Off-Road Adventures. Info: 310.374.8047, www.4x4training.com
• Sept. 15-17: Laurel Highlands Jeep Jamboree, Farmington, PA. Info: www.jeepjamboreeusa.com
• Sept. 15-17: Ouray Jeep Jamboree, Ouray, CO. Info: www.jeepjamboreeusa.com
• Sept. 16-18: Lucas Oil 4Wheel Jamboree Nationals, Indiana State Fairgrounds, Indianapolis, IN. Info: www.familyevents.com
• Sept. 17: Back to School Run, West Oneonta, NY (upstate), by the North East Xterra Club. Info: www.nexterra.org
• Sept. 17: Fall Blowout sand drags by the Tri County Four Wheelers, Elkton (near Lisbon), OH. Info: 330.941.9376, 330.277-3851
• Sept. 17: Rocks Clinic, Johnson Valley near Lucerne Valley, CA, by Badlands Off-Road Adventures. Info: 310.374.8047, www.4x4training.com
• Sept. 21-24: Oklahoma Classic Bronco Roundup, Superlift ORV Park, Hot Springs, AR. Info: 501.625.3600, www.orvpark.com
• Sept. 22-24: Catskill Mountains Jeep Jamboree, Monticello, NY. Info: www.jeepjamboreeusa.com
• Sept. 22-24: Black Hills Jeep Jamboree, Deadwood, SD. Info: www.jeepjamboreeusa.com
• Sept. 23-25: Jeepstock, at the Southern Missouri Off-Road Ranch, Seymour, MO, by Midwest Jeepthing. Info: www.midwest jeepthing.com/events
• Sept. 24: Sand Driving Clinic, Oceano Dunes near Pismo, CA, by Badlands Off-Road Adventures. Info: 310.374.8047, www.4x4training.com
• Sept. 24-25: Muddy Buddys Fall Jeep Jam, Harveysburg, OH, by the Muddy Buddys Jeep Wrangler Club & the Village of Harveysburg. Info: jeepjam.muddybuddys.net
• Sept. 24-25: Iron Range Offroad Driving School, Iron Range OHV Park north of Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN. Info: www.ironrangeoffroad.com
• Sept. 24-25: Iowa All Breeds Jeep Show & 4x4 Swap Meet, Story County Fairgrounds, Nevada, IA, by the Jeep Outdoor Club of Central Iowa. Info: www.jocci.com
• Sept. 25: Great American Jeep Rally, Four Town Fairgrounds, Somers, CT. Info: www.jeeprally.org
• Sept. 29-Oct. 1: Maine Mountains Jeep Jamboree, Bethel, ME. Info: www.jeepjamboreeusa.com
• Note: If you have a 4WD event you want us to publicize, please send the date, location, a description of the event, and contact info—phone numbers and/or email/website address—to Calendar, 4-Wheel & Off-Road magazine, 831 S. Douglas St., El Segundo, CA 90245; fax 310.531.9368; email 4wheeloff firstname.lastname@example.org. Please submit your info at least four months in advance of the event due to our press lead times.