In more Ram news, new larger RamBox bedside storage compartments will fit the Ram’s 6-foot 4-inch beds. These RamBoxes are 10 inches longer than the shortbed versions, and their storage capacity grows too. What didn’t grow is the price; in fact, Ram has lowered the cost of the RamBox option from $1,895 to $1,295. And yes, there are drain plugs in the RamBox so you can use it to cool your favorite beverages just like the photo shows.
Best Chevy of All?
Chevrolet celebrated its 100th anniversary in November, and during the centennial festivities it hosted an online ballot to see which Chevrolet product was the “Best Chevy of All Time.” The winner? Some 125,000 respondents voted through a four-round elimination bracket and said the ’69 Camaro was best of all. Huh? With all the great Chevy trucks in this company’s history—Suburban, K5 Blazer, Cameo, El Camino— the Camaro is as good as it gets? We wuz robbed.
• Jan. 7: Northern Exposure Run, by the Northeast Xterra Club, in two locations: Sturbridge, MA, and Rausch Creek, Tremont, PA. Info: www.nextexxa.org
• Jan. 13-15: Winter Fun Festival, Nevada County Fairgrounds, Grass Valley, CA, by the California Association of 4WD Clubs. Info: www.cal4wheel.com
• Jan. 14: Getting Started Off-Road Driving Clinic, Hungry Valley SVRA, Gorman, CA, by Badlands Off-Road Adventures. Info: 310.374.8047, www.4x4training.com
• Jan. 15: Advanced Beginner 4WD Clinic, Mojave, CA, by Badlands Off-Road Adventures. Info: 310.374.8047, www.4x4training.com
• Jan. 20-22: Truckhaven Challenge, Ocotillo Wells SVRA near Salton Sea, CA, by CORVA. Info: www.corva.org
• Jan. 21: New Year’s 200 desert race, Barstow, CA, by Mojave Off Road Racing Enthusiast. Info: www.moreracing.net
• Note: If you have a 4WD event you want us to publicize, please send the date, location, a description of the event, and contact info—phone numbers and/or email/website address—to Calendar, 4-Wheel & Off-Road magazine, 831 S. Douglas St., El Segundo, CA 90245; fax 310.531.9368; email 4wheeloff email@example.com. Please submit your info at least four months in advance of the event due to our press lead times.
Another Defender Concept
Last month we showed you the DC100, a concept vehicle unveiled at the Frankfurt auto show that represents what the company calls “a modern interpretation of the iconic Land Rover Defender.” A second concept, the DC100 Sport, was also displayed in Germany. This one Land Rover says is “an active expression of freedom and leisure” thanks to its open top and fold-down windshield. Both show vehicles are loaded with electronic features, including Wade Aid, a sonar-based system that judges water depth prior to fording, and Terrain-i mapper, which uses a headlamp-mounted scanner to assess the trail and warn the driver of obstacles that may be too large to be safely negotiated.
Land Rover says neither concept is production ready but both represent first steps in determining what the future Defender will be. The next-generation Defender is scheduled to debut as a ’15 model, but there’s no word as to whether it will come to the U.S.
New Upgrades for F-150
What you’re looking at is the new FX appearance package for the ’12 F-150, which consists of matte-black accents, black badges with red lettering, and new 20-inch, six-spoke wheels. What you can’t see are some of the engineering upgrades incorporated into the new F-Series, including Hill Start Assist and the expanded availability of electronic locking rear differentials on trucks with 3.5L EcoBoost V-6 and 5.0L V-8 engines. Top-line F-150 models—the Lariat, King Ranch, and Platinum versions—get a new 4WD system with a 4x4 Auto mode that transfers torque to the front wheels without any driver input when it senses a loss of traction.
Coolest Reading Places: Wedding Edition
“This is from my wedding in 2004,” says Clarence Gilbert of Marysville, Washington. “All of the groomsmen wheel. I knew on such a special occasion that I needed to get a picture of us reading 4-Wheel & Off-Road.” The wedding party, from the left, is Brandon Del Priore, Clarence, Chris Pattenaude, and Jason Kitzman. Belated congratulations, Clarence! We sure hope you dug out the photo in preparation for an anniversary and not a divorce.
Hey, we haven’t received a cool reading place in, like, years, people. This has to be the easiest way to get your photo in the magazine. The next time you go on vacation, get married, or do something else spectacular (or even remotely interesting), take an issue of 4WOR with you, have someone get a high-resolution photo of you with the mag, and send it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We’d especially like to hear from our troops overseas.