TDS Jeep Raffle
If you didn’t get to the 50th anniversary Desert Safari put on by Tierra Del Sol, you missed one heck of an event. But you can still take part, in a way, by getting involved with the club’s Wrangler raffle. Jeep donated a Wrangler Sport to TDS, and club members had it decked out by Jack Powell Jeep in Escondido, California, with accessories from Mopar (2-inch lift, rock rails, front and rear bumper, Warn winch, and more), Katzkin, and Goodyear.
The Jeep will travel around various Southern California off-road events to promote the club’s land-use efforts. Raffle tickets will be available at those events, and the lucky winner will be announced at the San Diego Auto Show in December. “Funds raised will go to the club’s mission of ‘Keeping Public Lands Open’ and the education of responsible off highway vehicle use,” said TDS President Joseph Smith.
Wounded Warrior SxS Giveaway
Polaris, in conjunction with the Wounded Warrior Project, gave away three blacked-out Ranger RZR XP 4 900s (a special model that Polaris has named Phantom 4) to wounded vets as the culmination of an essay contest. Winners Tammy Persing, Gavin Goodwin, and William Hampton wrote about what it would mean to them to win a Polaris Ranger and how they and their families would enjoy the vehicle. Their essays touched on how the vehicle would give them the ability to enjoy life with their families, be more adventuresome, and give them freedom away from the hospitals and post-war challenges they have endured.
In addition to the vehicles, Polaris Defense awarded the winners $5,000 worth of gear and accessories to outfit their new Rangers.
“Polaris would like to congratulate the winners of the essay contest and thank them for their service,” said Jason Difuccia, marketing manager for Polaris’ Off-Road Vehicles Division. “It was our pleasure to donate the Phantom 4s to such a wonderful organization. These individuals have made a great sacrifice for our freedom; we hope these vehicles bring joy to them and their families.”
Um, Where’s the Wrench?
OK, we know camo is cool, but when we got the press release from Snap-on about this impact wrench covered in a Realtree camouflage pattern, our first thought was, What if you set it down on the side of the trail and couldn’t find it again?
50 Years at Eastnor
No real news here, just a cool photo of some vintage (and not-so-vintage) Land Rovers parked in front of Eastnor Castle in Herefordshire, England. LR has been testing vehicles in the forest, mud, hills, and streams on the 5,000 acres surrounding the castle since 1961. We’ve done our share of off-roading there, and it is challenging.
Spendy German SUV
Porsche has announced that Macan will be the name of its new SUV when it goes into production in 2013. We know little about the vehicle other than industry reports that say it will share a platform with the Audi Q5 and that it will be smaller than the current Cayenne. The name is “derived from the Indonesian word for tiger,” said Porsche.
• May 31–June 2: Canyon de Chelly Jeep Jamboree, Chinle, AZ. Info: www.jeepjamboreeusa.com
• June 1-2: W.E. Rock Eastern Pro Series Round 2, Hannibal, MO. Info: www.werocklive.com
• June 1-3: Tecate SCORE Baja 500, Ensenada, Baja California, Mexico. Info: www.score-international.com
• June 1-3: Razorback Ramble by the Toyota Land Cruiser Association, Superlift ORV Park, Hot Springs, AR. Info: www.tlca.org
• June 2: Off-Road Show & Swap Meet by the Grand Mesa Jeep Club, Mesa County Fairgrounds, Grand Junction, CO. Info: 970.858.1394, gmjc.org
• June 2: Rocks Clinic by Badlands Off-Road Adventures, Johnson Valley, CA. Info: 310.374.8047, www.4x4training.com
• June 6-9: Crawl for Christ by the United Christian Off Road Alliance, Moab, UT. Info: www.crawl4christ.com
• June 8-9: Dirt Riot Great Lakes 1, Harrison, MI. Info: www.werocklive.com
• June 8-10: Dusty Times 250 desert race by SNORE Racing, Caliente, NV. Info: www.snoreracing.net
• June 9: Getting Started Off-Road Driving Clinic by Badlands Off-Road Adventures, Hungry Valley SVRA, Gorman, CA. Info: 310.374.8047, www.4x4training.com
• June 9-10: 4Wheel Parts Truck & Jeep Fest, Ontario Convention Center, Ontario, CA. Info: www.4wheelparts.com/events
• June 10: Advanced Beginner Off-Road Driving Clinic by Badlands Off-Road Adventures, El Paso Mountains, Mojave, CA. Info: 310.374.8047, www.4x4training.com
• June 15-16: Dirt Riot Mountain 2, Colorado Springs, CO. Info: www.werocklive.com
• June 15-17: Big Bear Forest Fest by the Inland Empire 4-Wheelers, Big Bear, CA. Info: ie4w.com
• June 14-16: Drummond Island Jeep Jamboree, Drummond Island, MI. Info: www.jeepjamboreeusa.com
• June 16-17: Iron Range Off-Road Driving School, Iron Range OHV Park near Minneapolis and St. Paul, MN. Info: www.ironrangeoffroad.com
• June 17: Badlands Off-Road Adventures Customer Appreciation Event, Hungry Valley SVRA, Gorman, CA. Info: 310.374.8047, www.4x4training.com
• June 21-23: Penn’s Woods Jeep Jamboree, Bradford, PA. Info: www.jeepjamboreeusa.com
• June 21-23: East Coast Bronco Roundup by the Mid-Atlantic Early Broncos, Cove Family Campground, Gore, VA. Info: earlybroncos.com
• June 21-24: Jeepster Jam East, by the JCCA, Clinton, TN. Info: jeepstercommandoclub.com
• June 21-25: Hummer Club Inc. Hummer Run, Superlift ORV Park, Hot Springs, AR. Info: 501.625.3600, www.orvpark.com
• June 22-23: Nevada Trophy GPS rally raid, northern Nevada. Info: 925.606.8301, www.offroadexperience.com
• June 23-24: W.E. Rock Western Pro Series Round 3, Donner, CA. Info: www.werocklive.com
• June 28: Wilderness Advanced First Aid Clinic by Badlands Off-Road Adventures, Hungry Valley SVRA, Gorman, CA. Info: 310.374.8047, www.4x4training.com
• June 29-30: Dirt Riot Great Lakes 2, Marseilles, IL. Info: www.werocklive.com
• June 30: Night Run, Kansas Rocks Recreation Park near Mapleton, KS. Info: www.ksrockspark.com
• Note: If you have a 4WD event you want us to publicize, please send the date, location, a description of the event, and contact info (phone number and/or email/website address) to Calendar, 4-Wheel & Off-Road magazine, 831 S. Douglas St., El Segundo, CA 90245; fax 310.531.9368; email 4wheeloff email@example.com. Please submit your info at least four months in advance of the event due to our press lead times.