How do you give even more muscle to the HUMMER H1? One way is to outfit it with the Vortec 8100, the contemporary version of General Motors legendary big-block V8.
But the Vortec 8100 is just one of the features that make the HUMMER H1 Alpha Vision Vehicle the logical evolution of the most serious 4x4 on earth. The prototype retains its outstanding off-road capability and rugged characteristics, while adding the 8.1L V8 gasoline engine, a premium entertainment and technology package and refinements of the vehicles interior and exterior. The result is performance, toughness and high-tech luxury in one complete package.
The H1 Alpha teams up its TorqTrac4 traction control system and four-speed automatic transmission with the Vortec 8100 engine. The Vortec 8100 is a durable and low maintenance engine that generates 340 horsepower @ 4200 rpm and 455lb-ft torque @ 3200 rpm.
"The H1 Alpha answers the question, what if we dropped a more powerful Vortec 8100 into an H1?" said Nancy Kaza, H1 assistant brand manager. "We also took the opportunity to add all sorts of luxury items like the DVD system and high-tech safety items like Night Vision and a new multi-colored, multi-logoed paint job."
Rod Hall, winner of 16 Baja 1000 desert races and the leader of Team HUMMER Racing, has developed a unique fully independent suspension package featured on the H1 Alpha. The suspension has large 3.5-inch diameter shocks combined with external reservoirs to allow for position sensitive valving, providing a smoother, more controlled ride and increased wheel travel. The larger volume allows the shock to work in high temperatures while maintaining optimal efficiency. Increased wheel travel of more than three inches allows more tire contact with the ground, enhancing the ride. The nitrogen gas shocks can be manually adjusted for fine-tuning. In addition, lower rate springs also add to the ride comfort and a front sway bar aids in quick steering response and a reduction in body roll.
The powerful H1 Alpha also provides technological enhancements to accompany its passengers through the terrain of deserts, mountains or cities. The Alpha features the Delphi Integrated Navigation Radio, which has full map navigation and a CD ROM/audio player. The navigation operation will instantly map routes with 2D and 3D full color map views on a 5.8" display screen with the push of a button. The radios Global Positioning System (GPS) features real-time location tracking, intersection views for detailed guidance, destination selection and voice prompts. The Radio Data System (RDS) includes radio text messaging, address books and an IrDA link for laptop computers and PDAs.
The H1 Alpha is also equipped with the Raytheon Night Vision system complete with a new day/night Head Up Display (HUD) designed for the HUMMER. The system will allow drivers to see objects at three-to-five times their low beam headlamp range, increasing reaction time to help avoid hazards in highway or off-road situations. Furthermore, Night Vision helps the driver see past oncoming headlight glare, which can temporarily blind motorists.
This HUMMER also is equipped with OnStar, GMs in-vehicle communication and information service. The trucks high-tech features also extend to the rear seats with the Delphi Integrated Rear Seat Audio/Video. This system includes a seven-inch LCD color monitor, audio/video control boards, DVD player and a video game player flush-mounted in the headliner.
The H1s distinct exterior has been slightly modified for the H1 Alpha. The brush guard and front bumper are brushed aluminum. Bolts that are exposed on the H1 around the hood, doors and window trim have been replaced with stainless steel on the H1 Alpha, giving the truck a smoother appearance. In addition to the technology packages, the interior of the H1 Alpha boasts leather seating surfaces and shifter, a new steering wheel and aluminum pedals.
* Wheelbase: 130.0/3302
* Width: 86.5/2197
* Length: 184.5/4686
* Height: 75.0/1905
* Track Width: 71.6/1819
* Engine: Vortec 8100 8.1L V8
* 340 hp @ 4200 rpm
* 455 lb-ft of torque @ 3200 rpm
* Internally balanced crankshaft
* Replicated-port cylinder heads
* Lost-foam one-piece cast aluminum intake manifold
* Electronic throttle control
* Coil-near-plug ignition
* Improved cooling system with coolant loss protection and oil-life monitor and level sensors
* TorqTrac4 traction control system
* Four-speed automatic transmission
* Fully-independent suspension package
* Delphi Integrated Navigation Radio with full map navigation, CD-ROM/audio player, Global Positioning System (GPS) and Radio Data System (RDS) technology
* Raytheon Night Vision system with new day/night Head Up Display
* Delphi Integrated Rear Seat Audio/Video with 7" LCD color monitor
* Goodyear MT/R (37x12.50R17LT) tires designed to withstand rugged off-road use
* Polished aluminum 17" wheels with stainless steel Central Tire Inflation System (CTIS), allowing tire pressure to be adjusted for better mobility in off-road environments
* Brushed aluminum brush guard and front bumper
* Stainless steel bolts around hood, doors and window trim
* Leather seats and shifter
* New steering wheel
* Aluminum pedals