Most locker installations follow these steps, with minor differences here and there. The k
Anyone can do anything, or so the saying goes! But we've witnessed some horrific fabrication and repair job over the years. We don't want to say the folks responsible for these monstrosities are inept, so we'll just say they lacked the time and diligence to do it right the first time. Like heart surgery, gear and locker installations take time, patience, and a few specialized tools. But installing them isn't impossible, and the job can be completed by a novice with good mechanical skills.
Our '04 UA Tacoma has been sitting in the back lot of Off-Road Evolution for the last few months. Before we hit the trail with it again, we wanted to make a few changes and modifications. The locker in the front Dana 44 needed to go, as we wanted to replace it with a selectable locker. This swap will make it easier to steer and negotiate the truck through tight spots on the trail. We decided on an Ox locker for a Dana 44 to show you how to install it. The science behind installing gear sets and lockers can get very in-depth. Volumes of books have been written on the subject. We'll show you some basics to take the edge off, and you can take it from there.
Locker & Gear Install Tools
* Ball-peen hammer
* Bearing press (optional)
* Bearing pullers
* Carrier cap bolt socket
* Calipers or a micrometer
* Dial indicator
* Gear marking compound & brush
* Housing spreader (optional)
* Large bench vise
* Long breaker bar
* Strong impact gun
* Pinion nut socket
* Plastic dead-blow hammer
* Pry bars for removing the carrier
* Ring gear bolt socket
* Strong impact gun
* Torque wrench
1. The Ox locker is a cable-actuated locker. The cable passes through the cover and attach
2. We used a press to install the bearings on the carrier. This is the safest way to insta
3. The ring gear bolts directly to the locker, and the bolts are torqued to 45-60 lb-ft. T
4. A dial indicator is needed to check the backlash between the pinion and the ring gear. Backlash is the movement, or play, between the two components. As a rule, the backlash between the pinion and ring gear should be no more or less than 0.003-0.009 inch, but there are different tolerances for different applications. If these tolerances are off, the life of the gearset will greatly be reduced. Setting the correct backlash is the tedious part of installing gears. This could possibly require the shimming and the removal and installation of the ring-and-pinion numerous times. Removal of the ring gear and carrier may also be necessary in order to shim either its left or right side. This is where experience comes in handy.
5. To make sure the gears are meshing properly, they are painted with gear marking compoun
6. Installing the Ox differential cover and cable is straightforward. However, the cable s
...The locker shifter can easily be mounted just about anywhere in the cab of your rig.
Off Road Evolution
Randy's Ring & Pinion
OX Locker USA