The Vanco Raptor brake kit comes with dual-piston caliper assemblies bolted to Vanco's bra
When was the last time you locked up the brakes on your Dana 30 axle? Yeah, we thought not. The brakes on the front of Dana 30-equipped Jeep YJs, TJs, XJs, and ZJs have never been anything to brag about. Their mildly acceptable braking performance with stock-sized tires has always translated into a pedal-mashing endeavor when combined with some decent sized off-road treads, and in our opinion that's just not enough stopping safety. A serious (and affordable) brake kit has been long past due, and Vanco has stepped up and created a bitchin' little retrofit kit to fill the niche. The Raptor Dana 30 braking system comes with dual-piston caliper assemblies, new rotors, and modified Dana 30 knuckles that will put a stop to your brake blues, and for less than $800 to boot.
We got a chance to try out a Raptor brake kit and we were amazed at how much more grab it put on the front end. Vanco has some specific brake break-in procedures, and the brakes will most likely continue to get better over the next few hundred miles. How well did the brakes work? Just ask the guy in the passenger seat who was trying to polish the dashboard with his teeth.
What It Is: Raptor disc-brake kit
What It Comes With: Twin-piston caliper assemblies, new rotors, modified Dana 30 knuckles
How Much It'll Set You Back: Around $750
Options: You can add a hydroboost system for $450
1. The axle nuts are usually hard as heck to get off. Air tools are nice but if you're try
2. Next we removed the caliper slider bolts, lifted off the caliper, and slid off the roto
3. Vanco reuses a stock knuckle but cuts, modifies, and retrofits it with a custom bracket
4. With the unit bearing off, the axleshaft should slide right out. The knuckles are fairl
5. There should be some shims already installed in the calipers, but if they are still in
6. Something we figured out after we already had the brakes together was that some factory
7. With the unit bearing's diameter trimmed down a bit, the rotor should slide on just the
8. Remember that there is no brake fluid in new calipers, and you'll most likely have to d
The Vanco Raptor brake system is a nice addition to add considerably better stopping power to your Dana 30-equipped Cherokee, Wrangler, Comanche, or Grand Cherokee. But to really get the best of your new kit, you could option up to Vanco's signature hydroboost kit. Vanco claims that this setup will take 37s to a halt on a Dana 30 axle.